Monday, October 3, 2011

Pray, Pray, Pray!

Lately, I have really been hit with the power of prayer. Not that a huge miracle has occurred in my life, or that I have seen the power of prayer (even though I have), but I have been hit with the power of prayer because it is a command by God.

Last night I was talking with my cousin and we were discussing how it can be tough to pray for people or situations in which we just truly believe something will not get better or change. We both admitted times where we might pray for something, full- expecting nothing to happen, and we discussed how skewed that can be.

I am, by nature, not a worrier about small things, but a worrier about big things?- OH YES, that's me. I worry about my family- their salvation, their happiness, contentment. I worry about mine and Josh's future and what God has in store for us, but I am determined to stop this worrying cycle. What do I know the answer to be? Prayer. It is as simple as that- praying to the One who can actually change a situation.

When I think about it logically, I can definitely see that my worrying does nothing, but in the moment, even this very moment, I feel guilty if I am not worrying about it, or feel irresponsible if it's not on my mind- this is exactly what God doesn't want.

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all He has done." Philippians 4:6

I want to pray about everything. Not only because it helps, but because God commands it. He knows that worrying burdens me and longs for me to pray to Him.

It has been amazing for me to see the power of prayer in my counseling sessions. I love, love, love praying with my clients. Even more amazing is when I suggest clients to pray with their children or I may suggest that spouses pray together out loud for one another--- you would think that the majority of their "problems" had disappeared when most come back the next week! Just by suggesting prayer in some way or another produces great changes... I see it in my clients' lives, but I am now committing to it myself.

Even if the situation seems impossible- even if I feel irresponsible or guilty for not worrying- even if I feel out of control----that is where God wants me. Vulnerable, desperate, surrendering, submitting, depending---Depending on Him to help, guide, and direct me in this crazy life.

How wonderful would it be not to worry?! Well, here I go on praying about everything and worrying about nothing.... Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment